So it begins! The next few weeks we will be testing "mini retirement."
Our objective is to see how living, working, and exploring-
roaming the road in a motor home- really impacts our lives. We will apply the principles
of computer science; "Hardware" that's Dennis,
and "Software" that's me, Deborah; to determine the outcome.
Come join us for our experiment!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

RV1.0-Booting Up- August 9th 2010

Booting up: We arrived at the dealer this am to pickup our RV. The one we had reserved was not ready so they upgraded us to a 3100 Sun-seeker Forester Class C. It is really not that much different than the 2861, just a foot longer. There is only one slide out in the living area but an additional club chair :) Anyway, “Hardware” got a thorough tour of the necessary details setting up and driving our moving motor home and I followed along as the second set of ears. Dennis will bring you up to speed on the mechanics of the RV in his segment. After 45 minutes and of course all the necessary paper work we were off. Dennis drove the RV back to our house where we assessed what we had and what we needed to make the RV our “home away from home.” During our initial project planning phase we had already gathered all the items we felt we needed from weeks of research and of course reading other RV bloggers. That planning really did pay off. First was to tackle the “Software” which for us is all the items for the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. I surveyed the cabinets and discovered we certainly had a lot of storage available. The key is the right size items. Luckily only a few items had to be left behind. For those of you who know me I am a clean freak and the “Queen” of organizing. So I was in my element placing our items in the storage cabinets. I own a lot of plastic bins (PBA Free of course)! So I loaded them with our items. Once we arrive to our first destination I will place them in their proper space. Did I mention the temperature while we were going in and out of the house to set up the RV. The temp was over 96 degrees! Dennis turned on the generator and started the air conditioner but it was not cooling as fast as I was heating up. My nephew Ransom will love this as I digress from the details of the setup to share that at one point I was glowing with perspiration, my hair now soaking wet. I ran to the refrigerator in our house opened the freezer and put my head inside and ice down the back of my shirt. Hey Ransom sound familiar? At least it wasn't a public place this time! Anyway, back to the software version. We were finally packed and our cute little dog was dropped off at doggie camp :( After two full hours of setup we are off to our first destination “Fall Creek Falls.”
We have made note of two things for our logs. First: you can move around while someone is driving and make a sandwich. That is a good thing, but to get to the kitchen area you have to step over a small rise on the floor from the passenger chair. When returning you have to step into the seat of your chair and slide down while balancing your and the drivers food on your plate. The chairs don't swivel around in this Class C. So that goes into our research as minus for us. We don't have time for any broken bones. Today my agility is my friend. Second: fruit bowls on the table while the RV is in movement will not work. When the RV is in motion the fruit will juggle it's self all the way to the front! It was really funny, you should have been on the ride with us. Note to self and logs, baton down all items. We will soon be arriving at our first destination and we will settle in for a few days of work and fun times. Please log back in for an update and pictures of our first destination........Software

No comments:

Post a Comment